Search This Blog

Saturday, March 14, 2009

MIA-After The Fact


A little history here folks. MIA came from Las Vegas, Nevada, land of sin. They released two fine hardcore statements: Last Rites and Genocide and the amazing album on Alternative Tentacles entitled Murder In A Foreign Place. The band breaks up and Mike their singer moves to Orange County. You know The OC, land of babes, surfing, skating, and some of the best punk rock bands around. He hooks up with Mark from No Crisis and a couple of others and they release Notes From The Underground which in my HUMBLE opinion was quite good. After that release MIA cameback to the studio to record After The Fact. This is my favorite of theirs by far. For those that care, I am a big The Momma's and The Poppa's fan. MIA do a great version of California Dreamin'. I am a sucker for good harmonies I guess. A year of so after the release they broke up. Mark and the bassist (who's name escapes me) start Big Drill Car who would have some success on Cruz Records who were a subsid of SST. Mike would go onto run a popular niteclub in Costa Mesa. A few years ago when in Chicago, Mike slipped on a icy parkinglot and hit his head on the pavement and sadly passed away. It is always tough when you hear of your peers dying. I am 45 and I realize that dying in your 40's is just way too early.
This is dedicated to all my friends who have passed on over the years.
Ken

9 comments:

  1. Ken, thanx for posting the good records, as they are.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx Topper. MIA never made a bad record!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ken. Sad to hear about about Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puts things into reality when someone has a simple accident and they die. Too bad because he apparently left a family behind too.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good record. I always liked Notes From The Underground just a tad more. I've often wondered why people don't talk about these guys as much as some other bands of their era. They should be right up there in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! My comment worked! I've tried several times and it would always get hung up. Even with a Google account they wouldn't go through before...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bassist was Frank Daly, singer in Big Drill Car and then co singer in All Systems Go with John Kastner from the Doughboys. Big Drill Car were fantastic at Riot Fest last year...

    Also MIA's first record was a split LP with a band called Genocide, the title being simply "Last Rites"...just thought I'd add to this excellent post and GREAT blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jay, welcome to the party and thanks for the comment!

    Mr. Nez, I knew it was Frank Daly but couldn't be assed in figuring it out during the post. He was THE singer of Big Drill Car. Too many beers the night before! Thanks for the corrections too, makes my job easier!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  9. i worked stage crew with mark arnold a couple years ago, dude rules. plays guitar in all systems go, road manager for the lemonheads. nicest guy.

    ReplyDelete